Sunday 9 June 2013

For Debbie

I woke early this morning and instead of my normal routine I went straight onto facebook, my cyber friend and Meso Warrior, Mavis messaged me within a few minutes to give me the shocking news that Debbie, our well known Meso Warrior from Plymouth had past away during the night.
 
Debbie was one of the first to use facebook as a way to bring together all those with mesothelioma and build support pages as well as awareness.  She knew that many found the health sites too hard to read and wanted a community for people to be able to air their thoughts or ask those difficult questions as well as supporting each other through their own individual journeys.
 
She has touched many thousands throughout the world, her courage at trying a new treatment in Germany brought her name to the attention of the press and news coverage.  She woke the South of England up to the fact that Asbestos was a dangerous substance and that many people would keep dying from it.
 
She was loved in the USA and honoured by ADAO in 2012.  Recently she accepted the role of Ambassador for the Mick Knighton Mesothelioma Research Fund.
 
Debbie was due to commence another line of chemotherapy but she had been suffering from a chest infection which started earlier this year.  Unable to take certain antibiotics the infection didn't clear properly, leading to her having to be admitted to a hospice to help control the pain she was suffering due to both the growth and the infection.
 
I am sure many of you will be as shocked and upset at this news as I am, but I am thankful I knew her and her courageous spirit at fighting mesothelioma and finding the time to be their for others was remarkable.
 
We salute you Debbie Muvmuv Brewer, Rest In Peace
 
 
 

No comments: